Old Kingston Road

Old Kingston Road
Map of Highland Creek in 1860. Old Kingston Road is the black line.

In the 19th Century, Highland Creek was one of the larger communities in Scarborough. In 1885, it had a population of about 600, but it's importance started to decline around the turn of the century as other communities in the Toronto area grew.

Old Kingston Road
Old Kingston Road leading towards West Hill.

Old Kingston Road
Morrish General Store, at Old Kingston Road and Meadowvale Road.

This general store, built by William Morrish in 1891, was the finest in the area. The store sold a variety of goods, including hardware, dry goods, boots, shoes, farm machinery, flour, sugar, tea and salt. In 1914, they added a gasoline pump, providing the only gas service between Toronto and Whitby. The store continued operation by William's children and grand-children until 1967.

Once at risk of demolition, the store was recently renovated and now houses the Scarborough Historical Society archives.

Old Kingston Road
Wesleyan Cemetery.

The Wesleyan Cemetery dates back to the 18th Century. The Wesleyan Methodist church (1885) occupied this site, which merged with the Bible Christian Methodist Church (1863) in 1891 and became the Centennial Methodist Church.

Old Kingston Road
Traffic at the east end of Old Kingston Road. Highway 401 can be seen in the background.