Highland Creek in early April.
Colonel Danforth Park stretches along Highland Creek from the University of Toronto Scarborough campus south to Lawrence Avenue East. This page shows photos of the section north of Kingston Road. This part of the park can be reached from Old Kingston Road, which has a good number of parking spaces.
Asa Danforth, an American, was commissioned by the government of Upper Canada in 1799 to build a road from King Street east to the Trent River. Danforth was not actually a military man, but the title “Colonel” was probably given to him by the workers building the road because of his hard-driving, military style.
From here, a paved path leads further south in Colonel Danforth Park and north through the University of Toronto at Scarborough campus towards Morningside Park. Note that south of Old Kingston Road, the paved path continues on the east side of Highland Creek.
Paved path leading south. The Kingston Road bridge can be seen in the background.
Close-up of a cut tree.
Highland Creek, north of Old Kingston Road.