Remains of the Market Battery, with City Hall in the background.
In the mid 1800’s, the Market Battery in front of City Hall was one of many defensive installations along the Lake Ontario shore. In 1875, the battery had no further military use, and so was converted into a park. But only ten years later, the park was replaced by a rail yard serving as the southern terminus of the Kingston and Pembroke Railway. By 1967, the industrial significance of the waterfront had waned significantly, and this land was again turned back into a park.
Ticket kiosk for boat cruises.
Market Battery with Shoal Tower in background.
Shoal Tower seen through the trees in Confederation Park.
Former CP locomotive awaiting restoration in front of the former K&P station.