Officially known as McBurney Park, Skeleton Park got it’s name from the old cemetery occupying the site. Although most remains and grave markers were moved to other cemeteries (such as Cataraqui Cemetery) apparently, bones sometimes can be found sticking up through the soil.
In 1819, the cemetery was used by Anglicans and Catholics. But in 1825, a section was added to accomodate Presbyterians. In 1850, this cemetery was full, and in 1864 it was closed. After falling into misuse and neglect, the cemetery was converted into a city park and remains and markers were moved.
1826 monument to Reverend John Barclay, first minister of St. Andrews Church.
Corner of Balaclava Street and Alma Street.