St. Andrew's Playground.
The park at the north-west corner of Brant Street and Adelaide Street West has been used as a public park since the 1880's. In 1909, it became known as St. Andrew's Playground, the first public park dedicated to, and equipped for, supervised children's play.
Entrance to the Blue Bird Building on Adelaide Street West at Brant Street.
In the middle of the 19th Century, the public market north of the park was an important commercial center for Toronto's west end. According to a historical plaque at the park, the first market building was destroyed by a fire in 1860. A new, bigger market building was built in 1873, and housed produce merchants, butchers, a police station, community hall, and public library.
View down Adelaide Street West towards St. Mary's Catholic church.
The importance of the market started to decline in the 1870's, and by 1900, the market stalls were largely empty. The present Water Works building replaced the market in 1932.
Brant Street School.
Mural art on Camden Street.