Scenic Magpie High Falls
Wawa is a small town along the Trans-Canada Highway north-east of Lake Superior. Wawa was initially called Michipicoten when settled by fur traders in the mid 17th century. Later, gold prospecting became a major activity, but iron ore mines near Wawa serving the Algoma Steel smelters in Sault Ste Marie provided the major source of employment.
Young’s General Store
The name Wawa, which means “wild goose” in Ojibwa, was adopted in the 1890’s. The railways changed the name to Jamestown in the 1950’s, but the name didn’t stick. Local pressure restored the name Wawa in 1960.
Deserted beach on Wawa Lake on a cool day in June